[LargeFormat] Ultragon 210mm vs 250mm WF Ektar

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue Dec 24 07:08:23 2002

At 05:37 24/12/2002 -0600, click76112@charter.net wrote:
>I have used the 250 WA Commercial Ektar in the field on 8x10 before.  It is
>a very nice lens.  I currently have a Rodenstock 240 mm Sironar that I use
>on 8x10.  It covers but not by much.  What I am looking for is a wider lens.
>That is why I am thinking of a 210 mm G-Claron.  I have a 305 mm G-Claron
>and am most happy with the coverage on 8x10.  I also use it on 4x5.
>
>lee\c

Lee,

Yes, the 250mm WF Ektar is a great lens. In another related thread I
mentioned the Series V  8x10 Protar as a good option if you can deal with
the small aperture for focusing - this would give you the wide angle that
you are looking for - from memory the lens is about 182mm focal length and
covers 8x10 with loads of movements. The Protar weighs nothing in
comparison to the WF Ektar - it is smaller than a 90mm Angulon!

I am not convinced that the 210mm G-Clarons and Ultragons actually have an
image circle that covers the 8x10 format - they may have a circle of
illumination that covers when stopped down..........  I do have a 210mm
G-Claron here but am not even tempted to try it out on 8x10 as there would
be little option for movements!  Given the film size, it may be the case
that slightly soft corners are not even noticeable on a print unless you
exceed 20"x24".

Perhaps someone who has all the lenses will do an objective test, however,
at the end of the day it is the results that make you happy that really
count and of course what lenses are either available or within price
range.  For me there is a certain satisfaction using a 100 year old lens on
an old wooden camera - others would want to have lens coatings and a
shutter that works using something other than air for its operation :-)

Most people will probably be working in black & white when using 8x10 so
older lens are viable - and if you're using 8x10 chromes then I'm here to
offer my services as an assistant in return for 8x10 trannie film.....