[LargeFormat] Re: 2-1/4"x 3-1/4" format cameras

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Fri Dec 20 17:08:03 2002

Hi,

there were three models of the 2x3 Graphic camera made by Graflex.  the
crown, the Century and the Speed Graphic.   The Crown and the Speed could
have one of three backs although one isn't common.   The Graphic or Spring
back will not take a common roll holder.  There was an "adaptaroll 620"
that some people use but you'll need 620 spools as a take up.

The back that will accept a roll film back readily is the Graflok back,
also known as an international back.  The Century came with the  Graflok
back only. It will have chrome slide locks top and bottom. There is a good
chance your Crown 45 is this way.  this back will accept GRAPHIC roll
holders and RH roll holders made by Graflex.  Most of the time these will
also accept backs from the original Mamiya RB67, but there may be some
slightly variablility between the cameras and the backs that won't allow
it.  I've had cameras that would easily and others won't.

The hard-to-find back is the Graflex back.  This back doesn't allow the
ground glass to spring open for the film holder, it uses slide locks too.
Graflex made roll holders for this but they usually say GRAFLEX instead of
GRAPHIC on the back.

the last I heard Ilford was still making sheet film in this size but is
pulling out soon. After that you'll pay a premium to use the camera.