[LargeFormat] Photoflo & Jobo 3000 Series Expert Drums

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Dec 12 12:36:05 2002

At 12:07 12/12/2002 -0500, Skip Roessel wrote:
>Clive,
>
>Perhaps you could make up your own Rollo Pyro, from the published recipe
>(Darkroom Cookbook):
>
>     Part A
>
>         Distilled water                        750ml
>         Sodium Bisufite                        20 grams
>         Metol                                          20 grams
>         Pyrogallic acid                        150 grams
>         Ascorbic Acid
>             (Vitamin C crystals)                10 grams
>         Potassium bromide                     1.5 grams
>         EDTA tetrasodium                        2 -- 5 grams
>         Add distilled water to make      one liter
>
>     Part  B
>
>         Distilled water                            900 ml.
>         Sodium Metaborate                    300 grams
>         EDTA tetrasodium                        5 grams
>         Distilled water to make one liter
>
>Working solution for an expert drum with 4- 8x10 films:
>10 ml part A, 20 ml part B into 500ml water, (530ml total volume)
>         at 68F/20C in Jobo drum, continuous rotation 25 rpm:
>
>         FP4 at ISO 100            6.0 minutes
>         HP5+ @ ISO 400        6.5 mins.
>         BPF 200 @ 200           6.0 mins.
>         T-Max 100                    6.5 mins.
>

>The EDTA is a restrainer.  All these compounds are available from Photochem in
>Quebec, Canada if not closer.  His website:
>http://www.colba.net/~fotochem/index.htm
>
>Although it's quite a project to secure a scale and mix one's own chemistry,
>it pays off very quickly.  Especially if one starts doing things like gold
>toner....
>Skip

Thanks for that Skip,

Always an option to make your own.... I picked up an electronic set of
scales a while ago with the idea of making up developers if necessary.
Mixing up pyro is considered to amongst the more hazardous things to do in
the darkroom, so I would like to avoid contact with the dry chemical if
possible.  On the other hand, you have to suffer a bit for your art........

Thomas - oh, to be in Barbados right now!  Suffering from flu and our first
cold snap here in the UK. Nothing compared to the temperatures that some of
you guys have been lugging your cameras around in recently
though....  Thomas, there is a real problem sending any chemical powders
around the world at the moment. SilverPrint will not send any powders
outside the UK and I think the same is true for US-based companies. The
customs guys would not let it through the postal system over here......