[LargeFormat] filters

tripspud largeformat@f32.net
Mon Nov 25 10:02:02 2002

Hi Rei!

     I'm in the same boat.  I've just picked up 190 WF Ektar and the
135 WF Ektar on 5x7.  I'm looking at the Lee filter/shade system.
In the meantime, I've yet to get the 190 mounted, the 135 came with
the original retaining ring to hold Series VII filters and I've already got

a set of eight Tiffen warming/cooling filters as well as half a dozen
black&white ones.  But the Lee system takes the 4 inch square gels
or glass.  My 190 didn't come with the retaining ring, I think it takes
Series IX?  I believe the Lee system can double up on smaller formats
too.  Lee advertises as low cost.  Maybe, but in my case the WF lenses
have non-standard threads.  I've checked with Lee Grimes about it.
Noboby said large format was cheap.

      For black&white, two yellow, green and red ones.

     Anyway, I'm convinced from using a bellows type shade that they
make a marked difference in contrast and are almost a necessity to get
improved performance from older lenses, particularly single and uncoated
ones.

      The advantage of the view camera here, is that the photographer can
remove the back of his camera and while covered with the darkcloth, see
the effects of adjustment of the compendium type shade.

Cheers,

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California
tripspud@transbay.net