[LargeFormat] the zone system, do I have it right???

hairy possum largeformat@f32.net
Sat Nov 23 07:44:19 2002

I have been reading about the zone system, (again),
and wanted to see if I have my thinking right on it.

I am going to do some film testing, and will find the
EI that is correct for my lenses and developing.

When I meter  scene, if the shadow that I want to have
detail is say f 5.6 and the highlight of the scene is
say f 32, then I have a 5 stop difference.  Now
if I stop down for the shadow area too f 11, it will
put the shadow on zone 3. Since there are 5 zones
difference, this will place the highlight on zone 8.

If I don't want the highlight this light on the print,
I can shorten my development time from my normal time,
and it will bring the highlight down, to say zone 7 or
zone 6, depending on how much I reduce the developing
time.
However, I have read not to use less than 5 minutes
developing time as the negatives might be unevenly
developed.

Those of you who use this daily, and have lots of
experience, am I thinking about this right????

Any help/advice/experience will be helpful and
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Lauvone

=====