[LargeFormat] polarizer compensation

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Tue Nov 12 11:28:42 2002

My Gossen meters (Luna Star F2 & Luna Pro Digital) will take a reference
reading through filters and set their internal offset to the value that
they saw reading through the filters. I have always used this method and it
seems to be spot on for my purposes.

I recently was using ISO 100 film (Provia 100F) and wanted to get down to
several seconds exposure (silky water,) out in the bright sun. I used a 1.8
ND (6 stops) and a polarizer (~2.5 stops). I read the two through my meter
to set the offset. Then read the scene and got 4 sec at f/32, which was the
correct exposure. I bracketed + and -, but the indicated meter exposure was
the correct exposure.

Jim