[LargeFormat] Older Photographer Dressed in a Top Hat

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Thu Nov 7 00:47:07 2002

Dave,

As usual you are absolutely correct... I came close with the French
Revolution suggestion but simply failed to appreciate the full potential of
such stylish accoutrements (good word, eh?  It's French!! ;-)

Unfortunately my 'quieter rural constitution' may be a problem I'm sure.  We
don't see much in the way of fashion around these parts that doesn't in some
way incorporate Velcro.  Certainly fine feathers don't mix well with Velcro.
However, what one does in the privacy of his or her own home is really
nobody's business but their own.

I am, however, rather surprised that you could appreciate this living in
Cowtown.  The country bars must have changed their dress codes since I was
last at the Stampede... ;-)

Brock

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hornford, Dave" <Dave.Hornford@hp.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 9:22 PM
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Older Photographer Dressed in a Top Hat

Brock,
Black pyjamas & sandals? Far to down market & peasant oriented for
someone of Uncle Dick's sartorial elegance. Clearly an attempt to accent
the lineage of the camera rather than develop the ancestral lineage of
the colonising blokes Uncle Dick's esteemed ancestors seem not to be.
Perhaps, even, an attempt to capture some of the aura of Mr Hefner. In
all, not suitable for Uncle Dick.

I see something either from the court of Louis XIV with sufficient
ruffles, wide sleeves, buckle shoes, broad rimmed hat with feather. And
perhaps a rapier, but that may be going to excess.

The ruffles provide the necessary understated dignity required to work
with the Sen Hao

The broad rimmed hat provides both a wide range of functions beyond the
obvious style; Uncle Dick has a place to keep something under, his fair
features are afforded protection from both the zillion amps of modelling
lamps and the burning southern sun, should a lens shade be required one
only has to hold ones head 'just so', and should the authorities
intervene during a session - well one can hold ones head 'just so' to
avoid the unsightly digital cameras of the press. And the uses of the
feather, well the feather goes without saying.

Buckle shoes simply go with the ruffles - and in a pinch could provide
emergency parts to the Sen Hoa, or a necessary prop in the session -
perhaps intruding on the feather, but again the feather goes without
saying.

With the large number of things kept up Uncle Dick's sleeves wide
sleeves are both a de rigueur fashion component and a practical
necessity.

One can simply see Uncle Dick attempting to recreate the more playful
moments of the Sun King's court or the festivities at the Chateau.
Brock, ccontemplating Uncle Dick, the Shen Hoa, a bevy of beauties and
the Hall of Mirrors may be to much for your quieter rural constitution.

regards Dave

Dave Hornford
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."
   --- G.K. Chesterton