[LargeFormat] Jobos for 5x7?

Mike Kirwan largeformat@f32.net
Mon Oct 21 11:34:47 2002

Frank:

 I have been using my CPE2 Plus for a number of years to develop 35mm, 120
roll, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 film for black & white and E6 processing. I have
been more than pleased with the results. I have a number of Jobo drums,
including the 1520, 1530, 2521, 2551 and 2840. The 2840 is a print drum but
the only difference between that and the 2551 is the holder for the
chemistry at the lid mechanism. With the exception of the 1520 & 1530 I can
interchange all the parts using them for film and prints. And as you say as
long as you do not exceed the 600 ml capacity all should work well.

By the way, I do not believe that Jobo makes replcement motors for the CPE2
so anyone thinking of getting one used should make sure you get a CPE2 Plus.
The other must have is the lift...

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net]On
Behalf Of Frank Filippone
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 7:47 AM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Jobos for 5x7?

The technical answer to "can the JOBO handle it?".....

The JOBO CPE2 ( remember the other processors are more powerful) is that the
CPE2 has a less powerful motor.  The limitation of the motor rotational
power is 600 mL of solution.  So if you were putting in say 300 mL of
solution in a p[rint tube, the processor would be very happy.  In fact, the
2840 tank is OK for use in the CPE2.... so there is no official problem with
using 4 sheets of 5x7 film in the 2840 with up to 600 mL of solution in the
CPE2.

The other part of the question is if the print tubes can properly process
5x7 film ( and all the other combos).... There the question of consistency
and especially bromide drag comes into play.  Apparently, JOBO figured that
the print tubes were insufficient, otherwise they would not have invented
the Expert tanks .... which use a different system to hold the film.....
But was this a marketing ploy or reality?  I do not know... the results of
us, as users, will tell us more of the truth than we will find by asking
JOBO directly.  The official relay is that the 2840 is not to be used for
film.

BTW, there are 2 different processors.. the CPE2 and the CPE2 Plus... the
PLUS has a a slightly different and more rfined design, using a slightly
heavier duty motor.. but overall, my comments apply to both.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

      Ok, I get it.  Now, could I develop 5x7 in E6 chemistry with this
print tubes turned negative tubes?

     Can the Jobo CPE-2 handle it?

Thanks!

Rich Lahrson