[LargeFormat] Phillips 8x10

Tim Atherton largeformat@f32.net
Wed Sep 18 16:50:41 2002

Is anyone on the list currently using a Phillips 8x10 Compact II?

I'm looking around for something a bit lighter than my Deardorff
(which comes in around 12.5 lbs).

I like the look of it, although there are aspects that really seem to
have a "home made" look about it.

So, if you use one, do you find it does what you want it to?

Is it functional and easy to use?

How sturdy is the design - not in terms of rigidity (which I
understand is excellent), but in terms of wear and tear. (again,
looks a lot like big bits of plywood and vulnerable metal...)

How do you find the screwing and unscrewing of the front standard
stands up?

What problems do you find with it?

My only other choice, I think, would be a Canham 8x10

I've read the reviews, but I still don't have all the
answers I'm looking for. And getting a hands on look at one isn't
really an option.

thanks

tim