[LargeFormat] Selling a Deardorf 4x5/5x7 special

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sun Sep 1 22:34:03 2002

Most of the people rating stuff are aware of Shutterbug Magazine's
rating system, where mint has never seen the light of day and Ex- means
its been stored in the basement of the outhouse. I suggest you pick up a
copy and see what things are going for in the classified, and you can
also read their description.

When I sell lenses I try to write my ad so that "Leicaphiles-- those
people that are so picky about condition that mark only seen with a 10x
loupe knocks the camera down from Mint to EX+ and the price down $300--
run away.  Lenses are usually tested for cleaning marks by shining a
small flash light in from the back and then looking slightly off axis to
see the marks show up.  This is the extreme test and if you have a lens
that passes this test (no marks) then say so.

I usually say something like "Glass looks good to the naked eye, those
with 10x vision will problably find some marks somewhere"

Take a look on ebay and it's completed auctions for the lenses you are
selling. Find a store with an opened edition of McKeown's Price Guide
and look in there for ideas (The book's $100+ new)

or you can trust me when I tell you everybody has gone digital, these
old wood cameras are flooding the market and nobody want them any more,
I'll take the camera , lenses and the Durst off your hands for $500.
Say yes and I'll charter a jet from Detroit to San Fran, so that I can
be there in the morning..