[LargeFormat] Carl Zeiss Protars

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sun Aug 25 12:38:13 2002

On Sunday, August 25, 2002, at 08:13 AM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

> At 05:35 AM 08/25/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>> While Clive, Richard, and I are on the subject of Protars/WA Wolleys
>> I'd
>> like to ask the LF group at large if anyone has a copy of a Carl Zeiss
>> catalog that lists their Protar VII and VIIa's  I'm specifically
>> looking
>> for info on their C set or maybe it was called a C+ set as it
>> contains a
>> 35cm, 29cm, 21cm cells + a Protar V for 5x7.
>>
>> I have several catalogs for Bausch & Lomb and the focal lenghts are
>> close but there seems to be some differences.
>>
>> I'd be looking for a photo copy of any/ all data.  Thanks
>>
>> les
>>

>   My 1927 Zeiss catalogue lists the following sets:
> Set	Plate 	Components (cm)  Doublets(cm)
> Bo	4x5"  	29  22  18		14.5  13  11.5
>
> C	5x7"		35  29  22		18.5  15.5  14.5
>
> D	9x7		48  41  25  29    26  23.5  22  20  18.5
>
>  None listed has a WA Protar included. Such sets may be in other
> catalogues.
>   Bausch & Lomb offered sets with three or four cells, a large
> shutter, a
> barrel, and a WA Protar(f/18) in either a Volute shutter or with an
> adaptor
> disc to mount in the large shutter flange.
>   What else do you need to know, I have prices, lens numbers and codes,
> speeds of combinations, etc.
> ----
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles, CA, USA
> dickburk@ix.netcom.com

Richard,

Thanks much,

Not being set up for the telegraph, and probably would have a hard time
reaching 1920s Jena if I did, I'll pass on the codes, but I would like
to see the coverage of the  elements and combinations, and the speed of
the combinations.  When I was in the field I guessed.  One of the
benefits of using a Packard shutter is that you don't stress out on
whether or not it's f6.3, 7 or 7.7  There's something the BTZS people
can't say!

"Packard shutters--ask the man who owns one".