[LargeFormat] "New" Seneca 5x7

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Thu Aug 15 02:35:09 2002

At 08:52 PM 08/14/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi folks!
>
>      I've been shopping for a 5x7 view for the last few months, and
yesterday decided
>on this:
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1372325930
>
>     The camera has been refurbished with new bellows and added front
movements, Canham

>groundglass (perhaps a fresnel, though I doubt it).  The camera is
lightweight while
>not being
>too costly like a Deardorff, Wista or Canham.
>
>    Anyone using the Senecas? Particularly models that have had added
movements?

>    Now, with the camera on the way, I can look for a lens.  There's 14"
of bellows.
>Did
>this camera take an extension track?  I'd like to be able to get to 1:1,
so a lens of
>about
>7 inches seems about right from my experience.  I don't need a hugh image
circle, but
>enough
>for some corrective movements of perspective and focus.  Suggestions
welcome!   Also,
>if list members have something that maybe suitable, please contact me off
list.

>    Also, any webpages that profile large format glass?
>
>    I'll post here again in a few weeks when I have the camera.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Rich Lahrson
>Berkeley, California
>tripspud@transbay.net

  I am not as familiar with Seneca as with Agfa/Ansco. This appears to be a
Seneca Competitor View camera. They had fixed (non focusing) front
standards which had rise/fall, and sliding movements. Evidently the front
has been modifyed on this camera to allow swing and tilt in addition to the
sliding motions. The bed has been machined away at the front to allow the
front swing. Originally, the lens standard ran in a cut away channel in the
front with a sheet metal "L" bracket to hold it down. The Ansco/Agfa is
somewhat similar.
  I don't think they had extension beds, but am not sure. The more
expensive Seneca Improved Veiw did have an extension bed and loner bellows.
It has front focusing.
  The stability of this pattern of camera depends on how worn the groves in
the sides are. If not worn the back will be quite rigid. The Kodak All
Metal View (Model B) is an exceptionally rigid camera using this same
system. Of course, it has the advantage of an aluminum bed. Otherwise its a
metal version of a Kodak D-2.
 Seneca was located in Rochester, N.Y. Its history is detailed in Rudolf
Kingslake's little book on Rochester Camera and Lens companies.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com