[LargeFormat] A better way

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Wed Aug 7 23:22:48 2002

I deal with London Drugs here.  They know in approximate terms what it is
that I give them and they don't do anything stupid with it.  They send it
out to Colorfast in Edmonton and the results have been fine.  I see the
little crimp marks also, but they typically don't enter the image area.  No
problems at all, but it's been a while since I shot any E6 material.

I've also used Lens and Shutter in Vancouver (actually their processing
branch, forget the name for the moment) and again had no trouble.  There are
several more labs I'd be happy to trade with in Vancouver - I have a few
friends shooting professionally down there - stupidity like you experienced
would put them out of business.

There's a good one in Brisbane near Southbank, but I don't think you want to
pay the courier to use them!!  They do offer same-day service however, so
the turnaround may be better than you've seen!

Must be all those rednecks in Calgary that give you the grief ;-)

Brock

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hornford, Dave" <Dave.Hornford@hp.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 7:25 PM
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] A better way

Brock,
Quality degradation is driving me to develop my own E6.
My favourite pro lab now crimps my 4x5s at each corner - something their
machine does. I can live with it as I follow the advice of some wise
soul on this list and don't expect to use the whole 4x5. Also, their
staff seem to be going downhill. I've had to stop their people from
opening the boxes I give them so they can put my unexposed film in the
little envelopes. And last month they thoughtfully turned on the
lightbox so I could look at the undeveloped slides I was picking up.
My second favourite pro lab is consistently shaky on meeting their
development schedule & has misplaced my order on more than one occasion.

As an experiment I tried Agfa's E6 kit, it was easy & quick & the
chemicals are cheap. The mistakes are mine.

Dave Hornford
"There is no sense in being pessimistic.  It would not work anyway."
   --- Anon