[LargeFormat] A better way

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Wed Aug 7 13:02:55 2002

At 11:52 AM 8/7/2002 -0500, Lee Carmichael wrote:

>don't forget the pump you will need to get the lid off the expert drum,
>
>lee/

I've found that if you use a minuscule amount of Vaseline (or similar
stuff) on the inside of the lid, the pump is not needed. Hold the tank
between your feet, put a towel over the lid, grab the lid, through the
towel, under the edge with your fingernails and gently pull one side then
the other, and it pops right off with no pain or discomfort. FAR LESS PAIN
than the lid blowing off with the force of a 1/4 stick of dynamite when
using the pump! I even made a lid blowing chamber that had a shelf in it so
it would take the 3010 and the 3063 drums. Pump hose through a hole in the
top, padded inside the top so it wouldn't damage the lid when it blew off.
Still un-nerving even when contained.

Easing it off by hand is, as I've found, extremely easy.

Jim