[LargeFormat] Pyro Tips Wanted

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jul 28 23:04:05 2002

From: Clive Warren <cocam@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 18:56:31 +0100

<snip>
Guess the introduction to Pyro will have to wait for a while longer -
at least until I have some appropriately exposed film and maybe also
the book. Do either of you guys have any photos on the web from Pyro
developed negs?
<snip>

Greetings Clive,

The images I posted on the discussion forum (one of an approaching mountain
storm and the other of an abandoned ranch) were both pyro developed
negatives.  The mountain storm was scanned in color and I never corrected
the color, or changed it to gray scale and you can see some of the
yellow/green stain in the image I posted.

I'm assuming you got PMK, but let me know if that's not the case.  Sodium
metaborate is not a dangerous chemical, it is simply a balanced alkali that
maintains a constant PH.  If memory serves me correctly it maintains a ph of
13.2.  Any substance that's very acidic or base can be problematic if not
handled appropriatly, but it is "not" dangerous.  As for the gloves, yes
they are beneficial, but don't overlook your lungs!  Pyro is a very light
powder and can become airborne very easily.  The pyro is best mixed
outdoors.

I don't know if this is an accurate description, but Pyro developers and
particularly PMK ane not high energy developers (PMK is a "soft working"
developer) so you will usually see a loss in film speed.

Regards, Pete