[LargeFormat] of tripods and mountains

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jul 8 17:00:16 2002

At 4:53 pm +0100 8/7/02, Robert Lawrence wrote:
>Alex Le Heux wrote:
>
>>  Would a Manfrotto 444 be enough for an MPP Mk VII and say a Super Angulon
>>  90 f/8? Or should I get something bigger like the 440?
>
>Alex,
>
>I've not been mountain climbing but I do have a Carbon Fibre 443 with a
>gitzo magnesium low profile head which was recommended by Robert White
>-- surmounted by an Ebony. I have to say that I am delighted with this
>combination and it sure makes a difference from lugging the Sinar p2 and
>heavy tripod around in a 4x4!
>
>Clive borrowed the tripod a couple of weekends ago and he was also very
>positive about it - as Clive is an MPP man he'll be able to give you a
>second opinion.
>
>But as far as I am concerned - very stable, extremely light and worth
>every penny.
>
>Regards, Robert Lawrence.

Alex,

I use an MPP Mk VII quite frequently and although there was an Ebony
RW45E being used on the day Robert kindly lent me his tripod, the 443
was VERY stable in gusty wind. I was pleasantly surprised and have
yet another addition to the shopping list :-)

I normally use a Manfrotto alloy tripod and this also works very well
with the MPP. The Gitzo head is probably a lot more stable than the
Manfrotto head - but then you pay for it! The tripod is in the car
and I can't remember offhand which model it is - when I next look
will let you know.

How do you get on with the 90mm SA on your MPP? I use a flat lens
board and have had bellows cutoff with radical rise. When the bed is
dropped the lens is between the two rails on my camera at infinity
focus - which can be a challenge to keep the lens on either the front
or rear rail section.