[LargeFormat] of tripods and mountains

Alex Le Heux largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jul 8 10:30:06 2002

Soon I will travel to Japan and, amongst other things, pay my respects to
Mt Fuji. Fuji-san is more than 3700 metres high. For someone living in The
Netherlands the number 3700 meters is quite meaningless, I think the
highest point in NL is some 325 m above sealevel... Climbing this Giant of
a Mountain while carrying my MPP, some lenses, film and a nice and sturdy
Manfrotto seems somewhat silly. At least, that's what people tell me. Not
that I believe them, but shedding some weight seems to be a Good Idea.

The obvious place to shed some weight is the tripod (I myself am already on
a diet of dry rice and air). And if I'm going to buy a small and light
tripod anyway, why not get the smallest and lightest thing I can get away
with...

Now for the question:

Would a Manfrotto 444 be enough for an MPP Mk VII and say a Super Angulon
90 f/8? Or should I get something bigger like the 440?

Cheers,

Alex Le Heux

--
"Although the force from the engine is a lot for a motorcycle, the Earth is
not impressed. The Motorcycle and I loose the 'F' and 'm' battle and have to