[LargeFormat] LF Conference and Super XX

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jul 6 15:17:47 2002

From: "Brock Nanson" <brock@nanson.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 22:35:25 -0700

<snip>
What was the consensus with regard to the future of large format film?

Brock

Greetings Brock,

The big 3 all said the same thing essentially: "use it or lose it."  Ilford
said they were committed to large and UL formats, however some sizes may
have to be special ordered by your dealer; qunatities are not the issue, but
time is.  You just may have to wait until they do the next run if it's not
on the shelf.  Bergger said they would do just about any size one wanted.

Kodak said their existing plant was built in the 20's and while some of the
equipment has been upgraded, it's way out of date.  The result is poorly
coated film and inconsistency from batch to batch.  They are committed to
film, so they built a new building (building 38) with brand new coating
machines.  They claim this will yield greater consistency between batches
and better (thinner) coatings, hence new processing times for some films.
Kodak will still accept special orders, but there are minimums to be met.
Kodak said they had to destroy over $1M USD of one film last year (I forget
which) because no one used it - it's now been discontinued.

The theme echoed by Ilford, Kodak & Fuji, was as long as it sells, we'll
produce it.  As to certain Fuji product not being distributed in the US,
their rep. said e-mail Fuji & complain.  Ilford said the same thing, e-mail
them if you want something.  I can provide the e-mail addresses (I don't
have them accessible right now) if anyone wants them.

Bottom line:  Keep shooting!

Regards, Pete