[LargeFormat] LF Conference and Super XX

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jul 3 16:27:12 2002

Greetings,

I'm just getting caught up after attending the LF Conference sponsored by
View Camera Magazine in Albuquerque and can only say it was an absolute
success!  I didn't bump into anyone from this group, though I'm sure some of
you were there.  There was just too much to assimilate in such a short time.

Gordon Hutchings shared an iteresting story about Kodak Super XX.  Aparently
this film was the result of research done during WWII.  It seems all sides
were scrambling for a fast aerial film for reconnaissance.  Research done by
German scientists was delivered to Kodak for evaluation.  The Germans had
found a way to bond gold with silver and produce a fast aerial film.  Kodak
used this and thus was born Super XX. If true, it's no wonder XX was
discontinued!  The price of gold is considerably more today than it was 60
years ago.  I would also seriously doubt that Super XX is the negative used
in Polaroid type 55.

Aside from the conference, I am now the proud owner of an Empire State
11x14.  Anyone have a clue how old this monster is?

Regards, Pete