[LargeFormat] Bergger 200 Film Speeds

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 20 05:07:01 2002

At 22:19 19/06/02 -0400, Gregor33@aol.com wrote:
>Clive,
>
>As it so happens I'm about to take some Bergger to South Dikota. So I'm kind
>of curious as to what you rate it. I have in the past rated film about 1/3 of
>a stop slower. Don't ask me about any big reason (it's just a silly
>superstion I guess), I've been satisfied with results with the Iford films
>rated like this. So if I get a chance to check email before I go it would be
>helpful. Also I'm curious as to what you are souping them in. I've been using
>either the D76 standby or HC110. I know that HC110 has gotten some bad raps,
>but for me the one shot use is helpful.
>
>On a side note have you or anyone ever used xtol. I was reading about it and
>wondered if it is a viable developer for home use or is it realy for labs?
>Thanks
>
>Greg Orlando

Hello Greg,

Yep - I rate Ilford FP4 at 100ASA and have great results tend to shoot most
others slow - even trannie film.

It seems likely that the Bergger 200 is really a 100 for my exposure
techniques.  Souping the film shot yesterday will give the answer so will
dev the first couple of sheets at the recommended 13.5 minutes in D76 - one
of the developers that you can at least use for a small amount of pushing.
If it seems that the exposures are out for me, then maybe the remaining
sheets will be pushed half a stop so at least I have something
useful.  Will also be interesting for seeing how the film increases
contrast as it is pushed.

There is some loverly Pyro sitting here for use with the Bergger film -
will only use that when I am happy about the film speed. It seems that this
wonderful alt processing works rather well with Berrger film stock.

I have never used xtol and do prefer D76 to HC110.

The wonderful pair of The Darkroom Cookbook and the Film Developing
Cookbook by Steve Anchell and Bill Troop  will give you loads of
information and I highly recommend it if you haven't already picked up a
copy. If you or anyone else in interested in buying a copy of the books (or
any other come to that) then please do so through the f32.net recommended
books section as this helps f32.

There is a review of the books and a single click will take you to the
ordering page for the book on Amazon
http://www.f32.net/Services/Books/books.html

What format will you be shooting in South Dakota?  Am envious of you as it
seems I may have to wait 'til October before having the opportunity to go
on a photo trip....  Hope I get around to souping the Bergger before you
leave.  The "official" speed stated everywhere on the web is what it says
on the box, 200ASA. There are plenty of people shooting the film who say
100ASA.  If you leave before I post the results here then I would suggest
125ASA .