[LargeFormat] New IR question.

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 19 22:46:27 2002

While I can't find it on the web, there are a couple of photographs out
there taken in the 50s of a bunch of theater goers in the theater in the
dark(some with the patrons wearing 3D glasses).  It's been said Weegee took
at least one of these with IR film and IR flash bulbs.

A while back I tried to photograph a bunch of people around a campfire (not
a bon fire that rises 10 feet in the air, but a camp fire) I used P3200 B&
and  used my f1.2 50mm lens on my X700 minolta.  Well it was obvious even
pushing the film a couple of stops did nothing to help exposure.

Then I remembered these theater photos.  Well I couldn't let go of my #2 IR
flash bulbs for this test so I used my Norman 400B with a medium deep red
filter over the flash.  This way I can still get any and all of the ambient
light, but I brought my own IR light with me.

The problem is that when I tested it with people around a campfire, the
people look ghostly, gastly and welll,  undead.

So how did "they" do it back inthe 50s?

While it's still uncertain whether i get to take Large format equipment. My
wife just gave me a trip to Idaho for our anniversarya and I figured there'd
be lots of singing round the camp fire.  I'm just trying to figure out how
to take pictures without a couple of thousand lumen seconds irritating
everybody.  And to answer Clive's quick quip, i wasn't intending on using a
Protar V.  This is a job for one of those Canon RFs with an f.85 lens.

les