[LargeFormat] Exposure Introduction - Reflective Meters

John Lakshman largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jun 18 17:13:43 2002

I'm trying to understand my meter better as well as use it to test Ansel Adam's famous
zone system.  I know that he was reknown for getting perfect exposures with his 8x10
cameras.  Right now, I'm stuck with a reflective light meter (Vivitar 35).  How can I
perform both an exposure test (grey card) with such a meter using a 35 mm.  I would
prefer using the really small format, so that once I'm familiar with this meter, I can
start using the cost unfriendly 8 x 10 sheets.  Also, I've heard that he used the zone
system to his advantage to a point where light meters were unnecessary for him.  Is that
true?  Your thoughts on both points?!

John L.
Toronto, Canada