[LargeFormat] RE: IR filters

Marc Falcone largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jun 15 21:08:01 2002

Hi, Clive,
The RG-9 is a Schott-glass filter, it has no a 3 digits designation because
it is not a long pass filter, but a band pass filter, so the designation
"RG-9" is  probably because the central wavelenght is 900 nm. But the band
is very large and don't affects IR films a lot. It can be compared to a
"RG-730" which transmission percentage begins to drop progressivly from
about 850nm and above, but the loss is not significative for normal IR film,
unless it is a special long wave IR film (1200 nm) or digital backs. This is
the very best filter for direct visualisation of short IR, you can see
through it and see very brightly the near IR. It is available in 1mm, 2mm or
3mm thickness. They are available at www.schottglasstech.com  .I have
especially ordered a piece of RG-9 in diameter 82mm, 2mm thick that I have
mounted in a 86mm filter ring. For direct IR viewing, ready made pieces of
2" x 2" are available in 1, 2 or 3mm thick. The original glasses are 6 1/2
by 6 1/2 square and they can cut them to every shapes and size you want. I
paid US$ 250 for my 82mm circular piece, but ready made 2"x2" are about US$
50 per piece.

Marc