[LargeFormat] Polaroid 4x5 format camera conversion

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jun 14 22:04:01 2002

Dear Phillip,

     I must defend my friends.

     The use of explosives to fire-form accessories for large format cameras
is a legitimate manufacturing procedure. Not only does it save time over
complex cutting and milling but the more complex shapes such as assymetrical
elements for lenses and fine spiral helices for lens mounts can be produced
AND distributed over a wide area in a very short period of time. Time is
money in business as you well know and if you can stand the initial loud
noise it can be very cost-effective.

    Of course there are times when it does not work out quite as we plan - I
myself have been attempting to produce a 10 x 8 enlarger by packing sweating
gelignite into Durst C 35's and setting it off but so far all I have is a
flash and a rain of plastic parts all over the neighborhood. I put it down
to the quality of the gelly, or perhaps the quantity. I think I will back
off 10 percent and try again.

      Uncle Dick

PS: Ned Kelly - now there was a photographer....