[LargeFormat] Schneider Angulon 120mm

Ken Hough largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jun 9 10:38:23 2002

Urban lore. What BS! When I got roasted about my 120, I did a quick non
scientific study why the lens was so poorly thought of. Here's what I found.
Poor shutters........The lens probably was not used enough and the lube
dried.
Did not cover enough........Its a 5x7 lens........DUH
Too Dark to focus................The Super Angulon is F8 Go figure.
Low Contrast "sometimes"..Mine too, Till I wipe the fingerprint off.
Optics not good. Hummm. Being a repairman who recements lenses
I wondered what gives here. I actually had a guy (whos on this list I think)
send me his. Angulons are cemented with Canadian Balsam. This cement
Is refined till at anything less than 150 degrees F. it's a solid. Above 150 it
turns plastic. So this lens was decemented. Its a reversed Dagor. Three
elements in the front and rear. The front 3 came apart in a day or two. Of the
rear 3 only the rear inside double concave fell off right away. The convex
cell stuck fast! It was "recemented" with crazy glue. This has happened to 4
of these lenses I've recemented. The back 2 lenses fall off from, shock, heat,
brute force. After I recemented it it was just fine, as are all 120s.
Ken