[LargeFormat] Camaraderie

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 5 18:24:48 2002

At 2:42 pm -0700 5/6/02, Schuyler.Grace@AmericaWest.com wrote:
>Does anyone know if "Canyon de Chelle" (that seems to be listed everywhere
>as being in New Mexico, but I can't find it on a map) is the same as Canyon
>de Chelly in Arizona?
>
>Schuyler Grace

Well spotted Schuyler,

Here is a contemporary photograph:

http://uregina.ca/~sauchyn/geog323/298.jpg

While I was copying and pasting from the web site something didn't
seem quite right! It is pronounced "Shelly" but is in fact spelled
Chelle. Now as for the location - in 1873 it probably was New
Mexico.... today it is Arizona. Maybe some you historian/geographer
fountains of all knowledge can clear this one up.

The area is a special spiritual place for the Navajo - see
http://waltonfeed.com/peoples/navajo/culture.html They also charge
people who  want to visit the canyon floor and the ruins. It was the
sudden exposure to people and tourists that probably made me turn
tail - I had only spoken to one person in the preceeding 4 days and
that was someone I met halfway up a mountain....

I felt bad vibes from the moment I emerged from the Valley of the
Gods to the time I left the Navajo reservation several hours drive
later.

One of Ansel's famous photos was taken at the Canyon - of a Navajo
woman with her child. I hesitate to post this URL as it talks of
royalty free art, however here it is anyway:

http://www.royaltyfreeart.com/ansel/ansel/14_1417a.html