[LargeFormat] 5x7 Cameras - some feedback

Mike Kirwan largeformat@f32.net
Tue May 28 17:30:43 2002

I have two 5x7 cameras. My work horse is a grey Agfa Ansco woodie. The
bellows are in really good condition as are the controls. The only problem
is the previous owner carved the Studio Name on top of the front standard. I
use it in the field and carry it in a backpack with half a dozen film
holders.

My second camera is an Eastman 5x7 with Packard Shutter. It has been fully
restored with new bellows, and I use it for studio work.

I am a little short on lenses for these cameras and use a 150mm G-Claron as
a wide angle and 210mm Schneider and 10" Ilex Paragon. But would really like
another lens in the 12-14" focal length.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net]On
Behalf Of Clive Warren
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 1:29 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: [LargeFormat] 5x7 Cameras - some feedback

At 7:28 am -0700 28/5/02, Rich Lahrson wrote:
snip
>I'm looking at 5x7 size cameras, but will take my time to decide.
snip

There are a number of us on the list using 5x7 cameras - tell us what
you are interested in and perhaps you'll get some feedback from users.

I use a Korona and a B&J field camera that are 5x7 but also use 8x10
cameras with 5x7 backs mainly for portraiture. The most recent
acquisition is an 8x10 Korona field camera with a Bausch and Lomb 15
1/2" Portrait lens. This has a 5x7 back and I'm still looking for an
8x10 back for it........

As far as the Korona goes, I am a great fan. For a 100 year old
design they do a pretty good job. Lighter than the Kofak or Agfa
equivalent and fairly stable. If you compare them to some
contemporary cameras they are wobbly but there's something about
using an old camera that appeals to me - apart from the price :-) All
you need to do is wait for 10 seconds after setting up with the
darkslide out to take the photo - I would do that with a modern
camera anyway.

The 5x7 B&J field is a little more challenging even though it is a
modern camera compared to the Korona. The only thing I would change
is the locking mechanism for focus travel. Apart from that it is made
from Maple and has more movements that you're ever likely to need
unless you use it in the studio for still life work. The red bellows
and grey painted wood are a hallmark of the cameras. There is a photo
of the camera being used in the Abbey House Studios, Tintern in the
f32 Discussion Forum at :
http://www.f32.net/cgi-local/discus/show.cgi?93/248

I also use a 5x7 B&J Grover monorail. These are actually a nice
camera and very light, however most have had heavy use and
restoration requires machining skills. When the rail is worn you are
stuffed - they are made from alloy and do wear. I should really
replace the bellows on mine but am going to try that Elmer's (PVA)
glue and lampblack trick on the myriad of pinholes that have now
developed. I may give it a real treat next year with a new set of
bellows from the Camera Bellows company.

As you may have guessed, all of my cameras are at least 30 years old
and still going strong.