[LargeFormat] LF in Canada

Guy Glorieux largeformat@f32.net
Thu May 23 15:22:01 2002

Joe,

I'm sure there are hundreds (Oh well...!?  Certainly dozens...!) of LF
photographers in Toronto.

What you need is to determine what kind of LF photographers you're
looking for (landscape vs studio vs architecture, etc...) because these
guys will most likely be quite specialized.  Are you looking for 4x5 or
8x10 or 11x14 photographers? (same thing).

Remember, these guys are busy, they have a good measure of ego to
satisfy and they will want to know WHY it is that you want to associate
with them.  They have their own network of photographers already well
established and are unlikely to be looking for additionnal people
(unless of course your are a greater pro then themselves...).  So be
prepared to show some of your work to establish credentials with them.

One way to get to know some of them is to check with photo stores and to
ask them who does LF.  Again be prepared to answer the "Why?" question
in a way that is convincing to the seller.  His job is to sell  _ AND _
to protect his customers from sollicitation...!  -:))

You could perhaps go to Toronto Image Works and check with them.  I
understand that there is a group of photogrpahers that meets every
months somewhere for 5-7 drinks and chit chat.  TIW would know where and
who is going.

You could also go to Eight Elm Photo (can't recall their new address but
you can find it in the phone book or on the web).  There, ask for Mike
Chan or Mike Leigh on my behalf (they are the two owners and will
respond to my name, don't waste time with the other 2 sellers)  and tell
them what you are looking for (and give them my best wishes on the same
occasion!).  I'm sure that they'll be more than happy to help you.

Above all, be patient.  It takes a lot of time to build contacts with
photographers.  We are typically a bunch of lonely people who value this
lonelyness as an incredient to our creative process...

Good luck,

Guy Glorieux
Montreal