[LargeFormat] Bellows Repair

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon May 20 18:37:46 2002

At 1:07 pm -0700 20/5/02, Les Newcomer wrote:
>  > From: Clive Warren
>  > Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 13:35:29 +0100
>  >
>>  Have just read an interesting article on bellows repair that suggests the
>>  use of a concoction based on a glue called "Elmer's Glue" together with
>>  some detergent and lampblack.  I have never seen Elmer's glue in the UK -
>>  is there an equivalent glue that anyone knows about, or perhaps if you have
>>  some of this wonder glue sitting around you could post the ingredients so I
>>  can find an equivalent here in England.
>>
>  > I have a feeling that this is the same white glue that I have used in the
>  > past for papier mache......
>common white alphitic(sp?) glue. The Elmer's 'school" glue is washable so I
>don't recommend that. Similar in feel to yellow wood workers' glue, which is
>used to glue woodworkers together, but the directions say for them to be
>clamped up for an hour.
>
>yes I would say it's identical to paper ma chay glue, but never used it that
>way. Maybe that's why all those school projects fell apart?
>
>les
>
>Haven't a clue what the detergent does in concoction

That sounds like the stuff - probably PVA glue which is available
here - white and water soluble. The chap who posted the tip reckons
that you shouldn't do underwater shots after treating the bellows -
puts a lot of your shoots out of the running Les ;-)

The addition of detergent (dish washing-up liquid) is to break the
surface tension and allow the mixture to soak into the bellows
material rather than sitting on top of it.

There were a number of comparisons to use of silicon preparations
mixed with dyes. Apparently the silicon makes it difficult to
compress the bellows to their original depth after treatment so the
Elemer's glue formula is claimed to be superior.

I found the tip on Bob Monaghan's excellent medium format web site:
http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/bronbelfix.html

Marvin H. Olsen says: