[LargeFormat] 250mm Wide Field Ektar

Paul Loyd largeformat@f32.net
Wed May 8 21:02:15 2002

--=======51564851=======

Hello Clive,

I have found it! It is not a review, but it is mentioned in an article in
the Jan/Feb edition of  View Camera Magazine. The article is titled " Some
Thoughts on Lenses - Choosing the right lens for your view camera" The
author is Patrick Alt, the article is oriented towards cameras 8X10 and
larger. He states that for very wide angle on 8X10 cameras the 6.5" Wide
Angle Dagor is excellent and another lens to consider is the 159mm WA
Wollensak which is tiny. There are some Zeiss Protars but they are more
expensive. The 190mm Wide Angle Ektar will cover, but with limited
movements. He says the next jump is up to 210mm and there are several
available, the first being the 8.25" Dagor. The 210mm Schnider Angulon is a
small lens with sufficient coverage for 11X14. The next lens he mentions is
the 250mm Wide Field Ektar, I will make a direct quote of what he says
about it.

"The next lens to consider is the 250mm Wide Field Ektar which also will
cover 11X14". The Ektars are wonderful lenses with good contrast and large
coverage and are available in a wide range of focal lengths. The normal
length Ektars of 12" and 14" focal lengths are usually my recommendation
for a first lens purchase for both their quality, availability and price."

He then again briefly mentions Dagors, but says they are pricey, and then
goes on to banquet cameras and larger formats.

If you are unable to get the back issue and would like a photocopy of the
article let me know.

Paul

>At 10:33 am -0600 7/5/02, Tim Atherton wrote:
>>the index isn't on their site anymore, but it's here
>>
>>http://216.239.35.100/search?q=cache:8Sy6lJo77yYC:www.viewcamera.com/ARTIND2
>>.HTM+index+site:www.viewcamera.com&hl=en
>>
>>couldn't find it listed in a title though

---