[LargeFormat] New Memeber introduction/Pinhole day comments

Jonathan King largeformat@f32.net
Fri May 3 08:51:26 2002

On Thu, 2 May 2002 22:48:10 +0100, philip.lambert wrote:

>How does one mount a pinhole on a lensboard? Drill a moderate=
 size
>hole and
>glue the pinhole base material over it? Would the glue when=
 drying
>distort
>the pinhole?

I used an epoxy on a 35mm lens cap, and ruined one when the epoxy=

spread to the pinhole before it dried.  Since then - duct tape. =
 It
works very well on LF lens boards.

I have a picture of my latest board, as well as one of my=
 'failure
pinholes'  at http://webpages.charter.net/jking_nh/pinhole.jpg
An example photo from a cardboard box camera is
at http://webpages.charter.net/jking_nh/example.jpg
The camera had an  aluminium pinhole made by an 11 year old.
 ~ 30 sec exposure with Polaroid 55 film.

 >What exposure might be required for a sunny May day?
>Are we
>talking of half an hour or half a day?

A big advantage I see of converting a LF camera is the ease of=
 using
film.  I'm currently using Tri-X or Ilford Ortho+, & exposures=
 range
from a couple of seconds to a minute or so for outdoor=
 exposures.
I used the www.mrpinhole.com calculators as a starting point,=
 then
added reciprocity factors from film data sheets.

> I looked at Achil's pictures
>and was
>so impressed I decided to junk all my German glass except for=
 the
>305mm f9.

I agree!