[LargeFormat] New Memeber introduction/Pinhole day comments

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Thu May 2 15:33:50 2002

Thanks for the info, Achal, and great shot on pinholeday.org!  I was
thinking about going the brass shim and homemade pinhole route, but thought
it might be too difficult to be very consistent.  Sounds like it's actually
easy.  Do you happen to know where "gilder grids" can be ordered from?

Thanks, again, for more inspiration and education.

Schuyler Grace

Phone:        480.693.3569
FAX:          480.693.7555
CO-MAIL:        52N-AWT

-----Original Message-----
From: Achal Pashine [mailto:achal@stanford.edu]
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 12:10 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: [LargeFormat] New Memeber introduction/Pinhole day comments

Hello, My name is Achal and I live in Fremont, CA.
I did write once of twice to the list, but mostly reading the responses
(lurker).
My interest is mainly 35mm photography (portraits, landscapes and
architecture). I have recently (3-4 months) started using Toyo 4X5 with 210
and 150mm lenses. I do developing at home and print at Calypso Imaging in
San Jose (no commercial interest). This list has been an incredible source
of information on LF!
Schuyler, I converted my 4X5 camera into pinhole. Basically, I bought some
brass shim from OSH hardware store and used the sewing needle in combination
with emery paper to create very fine and perfectly round pinholes. I
measured the size by scanning the pinhole and determine the actual size by
comparison to known scale. It was approximately, 0.3mm. It worked best for
17-20mm focal length.
In the meantime, I had correspondence with another pinholer, Chris Patton,
also from Stanford University; he provided me with variously sized copper
Gilder grids (used in electron microscopy and are very cheap, one can get
100s for $10-20!). Gilder grids are very precise in diameter and can be
stuck onto larger brass shim squares with 3-4mm hole. It produces incredible
details.
Pl look at my submission for WPPD at
http://www.pinholeday.org/gallery/2002/index.php?id=200
I used Polaroid back and it was gratifying to see instant results. I
initially did some exposure calculations using mrpinhole calculator and that
utility was very useful. I think it is at www.mrpinhole.com.
My other pinhole photographs taken on WPPD are at
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/achalpashine/lst?.view=t&.dir=/Pinhole_day
hope you enjoy and critic them.
thanks,
achal