[LargeFormat] New Memeber introduction/Pinhole day comments

Achal Pashine largeformat@f32.net
Thu May 2 15:07:12 2002

Hello, My name is Achal and I live in Fremont, CA.
I did write once of twice to the list, but mostly reading the responses
(lurker).
My interest is mainly 35mm photography (portraits, landscapes and
architecture). I have recently (3-4 months) started using Toyo 4X5 with 210
and 150mm lenses. I do developing at home and print at Calypso Imaging in
San Jose (no commercial interest). This list has been an incredible source
of information on LF!
Schuyler, I converted my 4X5 camera into pinhole. Basically, I bought some
brass shim from OSH hardware store and used the sewing needle in combination
with emery paper to create very fine and perfectly round pinholes. I
measured the size by scanning the pinhole and determine the actual size by
comparison to known scale. It was approximately, 0.3mm. It worked best for
17-20mm focal length.
In the meantime, I had correspondence with another pinholer, Chris Patton,
also from Stanford University; he provided me with variously sized copper
Gilder grids (used in electron microscopy and are very cheap, one can get
100s for $10-20!). Gilder grids are very precise in diameter and can be
stuck onto larger brass shim squares with 3-4mm hole. It produces incredible
details.
Pl look at my submission for WPPD at
http://www.pinholeday.org/gallery/2002/index.php?id=200
I used Polaroid back and it was gratifying to see instant results. I
initially did some exposure calculations using mrpinhole calculator and that
utility was very useful. I think it is at www.mrpinhole.com.
My other pinhole photographs taken on WPPD are at
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/achalpashine/lst?.view=t&.dir=/Pinhole_day
hope you enjoy and critic them.
thanks,
achal