[LargeFormat] Virus?

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Fri Apr 26 00:15:14 2002

| Has anybody recieved anything similar?
| Does anybody have enough computer skills to tell me what a .pif, scr and a
| [1].htm is?  I would have assumed it would have lead to a page on the web
| but it doesn't.

Those are all file extensions that have the ability to run code on your
computer.  In short, viruses!!  Being that your are running a Mac I'm going
to guess that you aren't too susceptible.  But regardless, you should have
antivirus software and most importantly, keep it up to date!  HTML-enabled
email is the root of all this.  You don't need to open many of the
attachments to be infected... just having the email in your preview window
will do it.

| The scariest was this one.
|
| subject: W32.klez.E removal tools
| attach: setup.exe
| attach: check[1].htm
|
| text: "Symantec give you the W32.Klez.E removal tools
| W32.Klez.E is a  dangerous virus that spread through email.

This one is fairly new.  I think the UK and Hong Kong have been worst hit,
but it's spreading fast.  I don't know how may I've seen at the office this
week...

Bottom line, if somebody sends you an email with an attachment and you
aren't expecting it, I'd ask them before viewing it.  Or update your virus
definition file first.  We used to leave our houses unlocked too... but not
any more!!!

Brock