[LargeFormat] Polaroid Sepia Image

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Fri Apr 19 09:15:04 2002

From: george day <geod@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:47:37 -0700

Incidentally, I've been doing a series of portraits of my wife in her
pregnancy and, frankly, haven't hit upon the look I've been after.  This is
close, so I'll give it a whirl.

<snip>

Hi George,

While I haven't taken those sorts of pictures (you'll have to consult with
our Dear Uncle Dick for that) I can tell you that the color you get from
Sepia Polaroid varies with temperature.  I follow the development times on
the package, but I never use a watch.  I simply count in my head.  After
doing this repeatedly, I have found that I'm within 5 seconds - close enough
for me.

I process the Polaroids on location, in the field so I also guess at the
temperature.  I have found that the warmer it is (roughly 70-80) the more
yellow in the sepia tone.  The cooler temps (50-60) produce more red-brown
tones.  Over and under exposure also produce interesting results.

Being imprecise about Polaroids is one of the things I like about them.  I
tmakes each one unique and lots of variety.  Good luck!

Regards, Pete