[LargeFormat] Lensboards on the road

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Sun Apr 7 22:40:01 2002

Ah clothing... My clothes pack down to about the size of a softball.

I have not found a wide lens I really like for backpacking - and am
currently with the Fujinon 90 to get the advantages of a modern lens in
a size I used most often in 35mm - the Fujinon is larger than I like,
but hits a favourite size with reasonable coverage.

I will look into the Super Symmar HM (85 & 110). Do you have a reference
you can point to, I couldn't find anything quickly. Lots of reference to
the 210.

How is the swapping of the elements in a G_Clarion different than
swapping lensboards?

Regards Dave

=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Filippone [mailto:red735i@earthlink.net]=20
Sent: April 7, 2002 2:07 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Lensboards on the road

Why not wrap the Lens in your clothing, where the space is maybe not
less, the bukk or awkwardness is less.... Also, the suggestion to selec
your lenses wisely is a good one.. The Fuji-C 450 is in a Copal #1
shutter, and is pretty minimal.  The "normal" plasmats like the 210
Sironar, Symmar, etc. are pretty big.

Another idea is to use the G_Claron lenses.. use 1 shutter and swap
optical assemblies....  you would have a choice of 210, 240, 270, or 305
in 1 shutter ( Copal #1).. prices is pretty cheap on barrel mounted
lenses, and they all fit and are correctly optically spaced by the Copal
#1....  I can off line explain to you about the relative F -Stops....

Your problem on the 75 and 90 mm lenses is pretty obvious.... they are
big, heavy, reasonably fragile due to their hourglass design, and are
awkward to pack.....  Get the 85 and/or 110  Super Symmar HM lenses...
they are lighter and less delicate....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net