[LargeFormat] Lensboards on the road

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Sun Apr 7 17:39:26 2002

From: "Hornford, Dave" <Dave.Hornford@Compaq.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 16:05:12 -0500

For those of us who venture off the beaten track with your LF gear what
do you do about lens & lensboards?

Do you have each lens mounted to a lensboard? Change them in the field?
What do you do to protect them?

<snip>

Greetings,

I would recommend against taking your lens unmounted.  Invariably you will
pass many shots along the trail and miss them, because of the hassel.

I carry my lens mounted on the boards (Canham boards.)  I use Zing neoprene
pouches in small and medium.  The only time I need the medium size is when
carrying very large lens'.  The small size will hold a Copal 3 mounted lens.

The are several benefits to using the Zing pouches: 1) They stretch to fit
just about anything.  2) They use a drawstring closure.  3) they have a web
strap and snap hook for attaching to anything.  Typically when I'm hiking
through a "target rich" area, I carry the camera mounted to the tripod and
slung over my shoulder with a lens or two strapped to my belt.  BTW, I'm not
affiliated with the manufacturer; I just think it's a pretty good product.

Good luck!

Regards, Pete