[LargeFormat] Lensboards on the road

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Sat Apr 6 23:11:31 2002

Jim/Michael,
Thanks. I'm not worried about the weight of the lensboards - rather the
volume of a lens mounted on a lensboard.
I have a starting limit of ~80 liters of space - and as the largest, and
the dedicated backpacker, I get to carry everything that no one else
will/can. In the family's opinion the ability to eat fresh baked
chocolate cake or a pizza trumps any of my photographic gear. After my
minimalist gear and the families I'm down to 10 liters of space. So I'm
trying to scrimp on volume.

A lens is a nice compact item, with the lensboard it isn't. The shape is
down-right awkward.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Brick [mailto:jim@brick.org]=20
Sent: April 6, 2002 3:48 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net; largeformat@f32.net
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Lensboards on the road

You are not saving anything by not keeping lenses on lens boards.
Fiddling=20
with mounting lenses on lensboards out in the field would not be
something=20
that I would want to do. The weight difference between a few lens boards

already mounted vs a wrench to mount and unmount lenses would not be=20
significant. Save your sanity. Carry only mounted lenses. And you will
be=20
able to quickly change focal lengths when needed.

Jim