[LargeFormat] cropping

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Thu Apr 4 23:56:06 2002

While cleaning up my scans it occurred to me that I shoot 4x5 the same way
as 35mm.  That is, I do the cropping in the camera.  This sometimes
backfires as commercially processed E-6 sometimes leaves minor damage on one
edge (at least my stuff comes back this way - looks like clip marks).

I've heard that the old time press photographers like their speed graphics
because they could aim in the general direction of the action with a
wide-ish lens and capture enough that the editor could choose a crop of any
size - usually more of a fraction of the image than a crop.

Many of you seem to do 8x10 contacts... clearly composition is important as
cropping isn't possible this way.

So I'm curious to know how the rest of you shoot large format.  Do you crop
in the camera or leave space to do so in the darkroom?

R Brock Nanson, P.Eng.
Kamloops BC
Canada