[LargeFormat] Bromoil Stains

Tom Micklin largeformat@f32.net
Thu Apr 4 22:14:01 2002

Hi,
I do Bromoils -  almost exclusively.
From 5x7 and 8x10 contact prints.
And you are so right, sir, it is an absolute mess with oily ink everywhere
and on everything.
But only at first. I've found that once I got the routine under control and
was not so focused on just trying to get a decent image, I could also watch
what I was doing with the ink.
Similar to my days as a Baker. It's just not really necessary to cover every
square inch of the room with flour just to bake a few loaves.
The process allows for a lot of creative control. I tend to enjoy making
images with long tonal ranges but with more of a textured look than a
straight contact print. Others do all kinds of interesting things.
We have a very active mailing list of Bromoilists - organized and maintained
by Gene Laughter - with about 90 members from all over the planet.
My site ->>  www.tmicklin.com
Our Bromoil Group site ->>
http://www.alt-photo.com/alt-photo/bromoil/index.html
Don't know the link for the UK people - not even sure the site is active
anymore - although there is still a lot of activity in the Bromoil Circle.
Tom