[LargeFormat] Traveling with LF gear

Betsy Schneider largeformat@f32.net
Tue Apr 2 03:12:02 2002

Diane,
This is a big issue for me since I am an American who lives in Norway (and
spent the past four years in London) and travel relatively extensively with
my camera equipment and small child (now children, although I haven't
traveled with both yet). Its always a big decision which pieces of equipment
to take. I have a Tamrac backpack which is actually pretty uncomforable but
holds a substantial amount (maybe there is a connection there). It will hold
my 4x5 Burke and James field camera, 10 film holders and my Mamiya 7, light
meter, film, etc. I never travel with both my 4x5 and my Mamiya RB, In fact
traveling with the RB is almost always a back breaking proposal. As others
have said, I always carry on my camera bag, I have never had problems with
this (they weigh the checked luggage not that which is on your back).
I usually bury my tripod in my giant duffel bag with my clothing, although I
am debating buying another tripod so I can leave one on each contienent.
Transporting the tripod is a pain.

I guess the trick is figuring out what you need in advance, how much
traveling you will be doing on foot and what other things you are willing to
forgo. Depending on where you are going, there can be a significant amount of
walking in airports (O'Hare and Heathrow both have 10-15 minute stretches)
and wheels may be the alternative. But then again they will take up space and
will add to the weight.

If anyone has the perfect solution I'd love to hear it.

Betsy