[LargeFormat] Traveling with LF gear

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Sat Mar 30 22:46:54 2002

From: "Diane Maher" <colrehogan@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:29:16 -0600

I'm going to be traveling with my gear [35 mm, 6x7 & 4x5] later this
year.  I'm thinking about getting a backpack with wheels to transport
this stuff.  I'm wondering how the rest of you travel with your
equipment?

Diane

Greetings,

This really depends on your mode of travel.  The only way I travel with
those three formats is by car; I never take small, medium & large formats at
the same time on a plane.

I can fit most of my 4x5 & MF gear into a LowePro Photo Trekker AW and
that's how I carry it.  When I get to my destination, I break it out into a
regular backpack, which is much more comfortable to carry.  Contrary to what
people say about the Lowe pack, it's very uncomfortable for carrying heavy
loads IMO.  With all my gear mine is 50+ lbs also my pack is the earlier
version.  I think they redesigned it and perhaps the newer one are more
comfortable.  It's my opinion that real backpacks are much better at
carrying heavy loads, but you need to protect you gear, with padded pouches,
etc.

You may find using one or more regular packs and a folding wheeled card
works better that one super large pack.  One last thing, I'd never check my
pack as airline cargo; I only carry it on.  I know that's a problem when
traveling to some places, but haven't had a problem within the USA.

Regards, Pete