[LargeFormat] Re: Filter set-up for 58mm SA XL?

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Fri Mar 29 09:48:07 2002

Greetings,

This is in reply to a follow up question regarding the 58XL lens and filters
for IR.  It appears the list server bounced my reply yesterday, because I
simply hit the reply button and it didn't like the subject line.

If I remember correctly... What is the widest lens I've ever used with the
modified Cokin P filter?  I've used it with a Schneider SA 65mm, with plenty
of room to spare.  The 65mm lens accepts 67mm filters, so it was no problem.
  I cannot use it with my 72XL as the front element is too large, note: the
72 uses 105mm filters with the CF attached.  Coverage shouldn't be a problem
with the 58XL, but I don't know if the front element will permit it's use

IRT Konica IR film.  We all have our favorite films, developers, papers,
etc., so this is simply my preference...  If you like the "look" of Kodak
High Speed Infrared, then I doubt you'll be happy with Konica.  It's been
years since I tried it, but I never liked the results and dropped it
quickly.  Maco on the other hand, is much closer to HIE, but not a true
replacement.  The Maco film has an antihalation coating (at least the roll
film version does) so it doesn't yield that pronounced "glow" around the
highlights that Kodak HIE was known for.

With an 87 filter, Maco produces a very nice IR negative that prints easily,
the only down side is its slow speed.  By necessity, I've even loaded this
film in the shade of my car's trunk on a bright noon day and had absolutely
no signs of fog.  I worked quickly and shielded it as much as possible.

Good luck!

Regards, Pete