[LargeFormat] Cleaning Metal

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Fri Mar 29 09:44:23 2002

> From: "Pete Caluori" <pcaluori@hotmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:24:51
> To: largeformat@f32.net
> Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Cleaning Metal
>
> From: "Emerson Valley" <valleye@mnsi.net>
> To: <largeformat@f32.net>
> Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Cleaning Metal
> Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:15:01 -0500
>
> Take them to a jeweler.  If they are heilooms I am sure you would not want
> to destroy them with a houshold cleaner that you were told to use by someone
> on the internet.

Pete,

My dad has owned a 1912 Buick since he got out of the Army in '46, this was
our vacation car. Hence as a toddler, I had a bottle of milk in one hand and
a bottle of Brasso in the other, occasionally getting them confused and
attempting to polish brass with infamil.

While on large brass lenses or other objects that are all brass brasso works
well, particulalry on heavily tarnished brass.

but I would be afraid that the amonia would adversely effect the glue behind
the mother of pearl.