[LargeFormat] Filter set-up for 58mm SA XL?

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 25 18:33:07 2002

From: Jon <vze249jf@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:08:44 -0500

Hi all,

I'm going to get a 58mm Super Angulon XL soon and I was wondering what
filter holder options are out there.

I'm going to be shooting 95% infrared, and some of those slim glass IR
filters are spendy!

I heard about the "Gel Snap" by Lee--has anyone tried this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

Greetings,

I don't know the size of the 58XL, but your cheapest and best option may be
a Lee 87 gel type filter in a Cokin P type holder.  Perhaps CoCam can supply
an 87 Polyester filter??

I'm assuming you're using MACO IR film.  I personally have only used MACO in
120 roll film as I still have a frozen supply of HIE.  With HIE I prefer an
87C filter, but have found it to be too strong with MACO.  MACO's
sensitivity peaks around 820nm and the 87C cuts off too much.  As Clive
pointed out, with an 87 filter, MACO's EI is a low 3 to 6 ISO.

To avoid vignetting, I've modified the Cokin P holder by removing the front
two slots.  This is easily accomplished with a hack-saw blade and some extra
fine sand paper to smooth all edges.

Regards, Pete