[LargeFormat] Re: Filter set-up for 58mm SA XL?

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Mar 24 06:54:00 2002

At 12:17 am -0500 24/3/02, Jon wrote:
big snip
>I've perused the archives a bit and have noticed that some of you are using
>the Wratten 87 with the Konica. Is there a noticeable difference between the
>87, 88A, and 89B? Is there a web site with comparisons? I looked at Marco's
>site:
>
>http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/infrared/comparison_of_films/comparison_of_f
>ilms.html
>
>But the sun wasn't particularly strong that day and the effect is subtle.
>I'm always on a tripod so I'm not concerned about dismal film speed...
>
>One other possiblity would be to get the Roland's 120/220 HIE:
>
>http://www.homestead.com/infrared/
>
>and get a changing bag. Although trying to load film into the Sinar back in
>a changing bag doesn't sound like much fun. But I think I want to play with
>the Konica...
>
>Also, since I have been using the 87C exclusively up to this point, I don't
>know much about the other filters. Is there a site that lists ALL the
>different IR filter variations and wavelengths?
>
>And, I'm shooting with a 58mm Super Angulon XL--what kind of filter setup
>would you recommend? Some of the thin 67mm screw-on glass filters are real
>expensive.
snip

Jon,

A quick response that may help.

Konica 750IR 120 roll film in the Sinar back using an 89B filter
would be my recommendation. The speed of the Konica (and MACO) film
is too slow using any stronger filter.

A few people have made complaints about Roland's cut and rolled HIE
120 - from emulsion problems through to scratches. Other people have
had no problems. Roland is not particularly responsive on this matter
and has never adequately addressed issues I have raised about air
transporting HIE - even more of an issue now. I contacted the air
carriers to obtain a definitive statement on the situation wrt to
scanning and on the basis of the carriers' statements suggested to
Roland about a year ago that he may like to send me a trial roll for
testing - still waiting!

The site listing infrared filter characteristics, wavelengths and
exposure recommendations for particular filters/film is of course,
http://www.infraredfaq.org  but you probably knew that already?

As for me disappearing for a week or so - a nasty bug tried to stop
me using my cameras and succeeded! Still recovering......

Hope this helps,