[LargeFormat] Filter set-up for 58mm SA XL?

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Mar 23 14:15:23 2002

At 12:08 pm -0500 23/3/02, Jon wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm going to get a 58mm Super Angulon XL soon and I was wondering what
>filter holder options are out there.
>
>I'm going to be shooting 95% infrared, and some of those slim glass IR
>filters are spendy!
>
>I heard about the "Gel Snap" by Lee--has anyone tried this?
>
>Any suggestions?

Hello Jon,

Am just back in the land of the living - the infrared post pushed me
past the threshold for sending the first EMail in a week - also still
have a huge backlog that have not been read yet......

Anyway, you have a couple of interesting challenges there. How often
do you think you'll use the 58mm?  Maybe you have a particular
challenging requirement for such a wideangle lens.

As for filters - the only 4x5 IR film that is readily available is
the new MACO 4x5 infrared film. This behaves a lot like Konica 750IR.
So it is slow and an infrared filter will make it a lot slower - ie
around 9ASA with an #89B filter and a lot slower with a filter such
as an #87. There is a lot of info. on this in the Infrared FAQ at
http://www.infraredfaq.org

I have used #87 Lee thin film filters - would make MACO horribly
slow, probably around 3 ASA.

Gel filters (ie coated gelatin) are fragile and require frequent replacement.

What is the filter size of the 59mm SA XL?

CoCam can supply "P" size filters made from optical grade resin dyed
in the mass - I recommend these but then I would as I own the company
:-)