[LargeFormat] darkroom horrors (was philosophy)

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Fri Mar 22 13:14:52 2002

Here's a snap of my defiantly made water control panel.

Learned many things on this one.

A. CPVC pipe really is a lot easier to work with than copper (I'd plumbed a
smililar panel in my last house in about 45min)

B. Plastic threads melt at a lower temp than any solder even under wet rags.
   (that's the third filter)

C. The best use for an old scratch ferrotype panel is as a heat sink.

http://home.twmi.rr.com/lnphoto/waterboard.jpg

> From: "Wilkes, Don MSER:EX" <Don.Wilkes@gems9.gov.bc.ca>
> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:04:00 -0800
> To: "'largeformat@f32.net'" <largeformat@f32.net>
> Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Philosophy
>
>> Yup I know the feeling of setting up a darkroom. Mine took me
>> about 6 weeks in all. Sweating pipe drilling through concrete walls for
> the
>

> Oh, if it had only been six weeks!  It took most of a year for mine.  It
> started as a ghastly pit of ugliness in a corner of the basement, and a
> *lot* of time was consumed in ripping out everything in sight.  Since we'd
> put in a new gas furnace, the old oil tank went, freeing up gobs of room.
> But, this meant pulling the old fuel lines out from where they were
> half-buried in the concrete floor, patching and grinding the resulting holes
> in the floor, and spitting out concrete dust for days -- not fun. And, that
> was the easy part...
>
> I did learn quite a bit about a lot of the trades -- rather more than I
> wanted, in some instances (drywalling immediately leaps to mind).  And, if
> it hadn't been for my handyman buddy Bob leading the way, I'd probably still
> be at it, and doing an appalling job.
>
> But, now I have an honest-to-goodness darkroom, with a genuine *door* that
> opens and closes, walls that are smooth and white, a real sink for the
> trays, and a honkin' big Durst 138S begging me to get out there and shoot
> some film.
>
> Sometimes, life is good.
>
> \donw

At least you new going in this was a long hard job. For whatever nieve
reason I figured at the longest, a weekend for the panel and a weekend for
the rest of the plumbing.  Guess I forgot the two weeks for "testing" said
plumbing  :)