[LargeFormat] protection for ground glass

Wilkes, Don MSER:EX largeformat@f32.net
Tue Mar 19 11:39:15 2002

Brock,

> I haven't put 4x5 stuff in the hold yet.  I can't convince
> myself that the
> ground glass can survive any shocks, even in the foam.  Don't want to
> support the glass directly with the foam, for fear of
> snapping the glass
> with uneven pressures, but don't want to have it supported by
> just the edges
> either.  I'd be curious to hear what others have done in this
> regard.  Any
> foolproof ground glass protection ideas?

I can't speak from experience, but I do know that Claumet
(www.calumetphoto.com) market something specifically for this.  Here's the
blurb from their website:

  4x5 Ground Glass Protector

  This convenient accessory guards against
  accidental ground glass breakage while
  transporting or storing your view camera. The
  Ground Glass Protector simply slides into any
  4x5 camera back like a sheet film holder and
  covers the glass from both sides.

It's about US$15.

Cheers,
\donw