[LargeFormat] renovation

philip.lambert largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 18 16:26:29 2002

Thanks. I hear the voice of experience.   Do I look for a particular product
or just plain lacquer thinner,  not turpentine substitute?  Paintstripper
sounds like it would work but if it's the stuff that I used on old pine wood
furniture prior to re-varnishing it's quite aggressive. The camera is a
Speed Graphic about 1938 and not intended a museum exhibit. If it were a
prewar V8 or even a Leica I would take a more respectful view.Concerning Sp
Graphics (I 've had a few) I noticed one internet review of a camera
stripped down to its wooden chassis and polished. Not authentic but looked
good. On my metal camera I just want to make the black paint look good and
less like a candidate for the refuse tip.  Incidentally I was proposing to
mask off around the stripped area with tape and newspaper and then spray
with 2 coats of black (Model T) gloss.   Is this a bad idea?  (maybe
yellow?)
Philip

Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] renovation